Myanmar’s Ministry of Electric Power and Japan International Cooperation Agency have just celebrated the partial completion of the Biluchaung No-2 Hydropower Station Rehabilitation Project at the plant in Loikaw, Kayah State on February 9.
Union Minister U Khin Maung Soe, JICA President Dr Akihiko Tanaka and officials opened the ceremony that marked the completion of the first stage in which three machines with an installed capacity of 28 megawatts each have now been rehabilitated.
The hydropower station was originally built by Japan in 1954 and began supplying electricity to Yangon in 1960 and Mandalay in 1971. Three more installations with installed capacity of 84 megawatts were completed in 1974.
The rehabilitation funded by a 6,669 million yen [K57 billion] Japanese ODA grant was started in July 2014.
The second stage of the project is due to begin in the coming rainy season.
The aim is to restore the original generating strength of 164 megawatts.